Biker's love VALUE

Back around 1986, I visited my first Biker Rally.  Three of us headed from Omaha, NE to the Sturgis Bike Rally.   Two of us on jap bikes, one on an HD.   We filled up the tanks, tucked away a few C Notes, and headed to South Dakota.  We were all active duty military , so we had decided on staying at Ellsworth AFB , a few miles east of Rapid City.  After 400 plus miles we rolled in and it was dark
already, so we found a ditch ( literally ) , and rolled the bikes in, pulled the bags out and got some sleep!  The next day after some riding, we pulled into the base and got our low cost rooms and the game was on!
We hit the hill climbs.  We hit the downtown party scene.  We rode through the hills and stopped at just about every beer joint and had a single beer at each.    We had a blast and when the smoke cleared, we weren't broke and we'd had a great time! I've attended three times since, for four trips total.

It'd be another ten years before I attended another rally.   This time it was Republic of Texas Bike Rally.  Buddy of mine rolled down there annually with a group of guys from Dallas and I got the invite.  Threw a leg over my '00 Vulcan 1500 and off we went!   I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting what we rode into.  When you get on the Expo grounds, it rivals, if not surpasses, any debauchery Sturgis offers up.   After a day of riding, we found some cold ones, headed out to the fair grounds , parked the bikes and the watched the party begin.  The quantity of breasts coming out made Sturgis and Mardi Gras down in New Orleans, look mild.   I was hooked!   I went down there for the next seven years in a row, five with mama' . Now, the point of this is you paid for a wrist band to get in and out of the Expo grounds.   The average cost of that was about $60.00 a person.   And that $60.00 would get you into multiple full blown concerts and all the other events for the entire weekend!
 A quick look shows me it was $75 a person for 2017.  That's $150 for a couple, ALL weekend , to have a blast.   Concerts, vendors, exhibitions .. the list goes on and on.   $150.00  That folks, is true value.

I saw an email from the Buffalo Chip that got me to looking around at the costs this morning.  I'd had an invite from my buddy Carl to head to Deadwood with him and a few buddies this past weekend.   My cost for my share?  $450.00   Now that, was hard to pass up!   That's lower cost than a hotel room.  And this is at one of the biggest events in the country.  I then got to looking at the cost of the Chip' .  It's got a week of entertainment.  For $400.00, you have unlimited access to the venue and all it's entertainment.  Thats an incredible value!  Hell, if you are hardcore, that also gives you a place to set your tent for untethered fun 24/7 out there?

Another big rally I used to attend was Bikes, Blues and BBQ up in Fayetteville, AR.  Not counting the cost of lodging, the cost to attend the event?   $0.   Zero!  Awesome riding in the hills.  Multiple Vendor areas.   Beer Gardens.  And, then there is "Dixon Street.".  Party Central!.   We attended this one for about five years in a row.   Nothing but good memories.   This is the one rally where it's honestly, "about the ride!"





One of my favorites, and for personal reasons , is the Lone Star Rally in Galveston.  We've been attending
this almost every year, since 2009.  Now, this is NOT about the Ride! It's about the weather and hundreds of thousands of fellow bikers who are there to have a great time.   The rally is on the harbor side and the seawall side.   Downtown on "The Strand" is party central on this one and it takes up blocks and blocks and blocks!  They rope it  all off, and you can park anywhere around the area, or .. pay about $10 or $15 a day, to roll onto the strand and park right up front.  This is my option, every year.  And, it's my only mandatory cost.  So for $45 for the weekend, for BOTH my wife and I , we have ... Front Row!   That is called ... VALUE.

For several years, we used to head out to IRIP in Branson, MO.  It's an Indian Motorcycle focused rally that used to be based around the Iron Indian Riders Association.  For the last several years, it's more focused around the Indian Owners Association.   But for those that attend, then and now, it's always a good time.  The cost to attend?  $0.00 .   That folks, is called VALUE.



Last year the Iron Indians Association, stood up their annual reunion event in Durango, CO.  It was the first since the move from Branson and a big success.  This year, we convened again at the same location. We're scheduled to attend next year.   We ride the area throughout the week, and hang together every evening much or little as one wants.   The cost of the event. Yep, you guessed it.  $0.00 .. .. and that once again , is called .. VALUE




Later this month, I attend two more events .  The North Winds IIRA regional ride and "The Gathering" up in Osage Beach, MO put on by the Gateway IIRA and the Flatlanders IIRA chapters.....   I'm not even going to tell you what the cost is.  I think you already know.



VALUE!

















Comments