This ain't my first rodeo..........

............well actually, it is!

Been living here in East Texas for over 22 years now.  In that time frame, I've dealt with the neighbor's dogs, possums baring their teeth, too many skunks (well not me, my dogs!), coyotes, armadillos, and my fair share of horses.  I don't know how many times I've helped my neighbors round up their horses that wandered onto my property.  Other times, it was just me getting rid of them.  Hell, one of my neighbors has miniature horses.  They act like puppies ...  gentle as can be. They've found my back yard more than once.  But with an in-ground swimming pool that isn't fenced in, I get a little nervous when livestock creeps up on it! Haven't found anything swimming in it yet, but that is my main concern.

Over those 22 years, I've dealt with my share of cattle coming in from the property south of me.  Trees fall.  Fences break.  And they love my green yard to munch on .  Now at some level, I don't care.  I mean I don't want them here, but .. I don't really care.  I find humor in it all.  But, when they leave behinds mounds of cow shit, I begin to care.  And anyone with a dog knows, for some reason... dogs love to roll in ...   hell.. whatever, and for some reason this is an attraction.  So yes, it's a problem

Friday afternoon was a first though.  We were headed out for drinks and music , so I took Peanut out (our 25 lb puggle) for a quick walk to take care of business where he went berserk.  There behind my pool was a young bull (really young .. barely sprouting his horns, but still had his balls).  I was worried Peanut was going to get kicked (friend of mine's dog got killed that way) so I spent 15-20 minutes trying to shoo him off.   He was pawing at the ground ...  snorting.. started to come at me a few times.   Now, I don't know who much that lil' guy weighed but at 300 lbs, I'm not sure I was bigger than him and decided I didn't want to find out.  So I did what everyone else would do and I went for my .... camera!   I put Peanut in the house, jumped on my golf cart (hey, not ever one in Texas owns a horse) and the game was on.  I ended up recording about a third of it all.  I was starting to think I'd never get this guy off the property. But, half hour later, I was in my Jeep headed to the bar....


I have no idea where he ended up eventually. He was headed north and away from me.   I'd considered the option of him ending up on my BBQ pit, but someone I think that would have bit me in the ass?


Comments