Human Nature

I've written about it at length throughout the years, and especially the last six months.

I had a new acquaintance say to me a few weeks ago " you're the admin of that page?   I unliked it; nothing new"   Have to admit, it caught me off guard but after a few beers and discussing, it made sense.  The FB page in particular " Texas Indian Bikers" is a composite of info found on FB, Forums and the Internet in general. This one particular person happens to scour the same areas I do, so .. he's seen much of it before.  But, most don't.  I went so far as to explain how we post pertinent info on the bikes and Texas area, but ... most people simply don't seem to give a shit.   But if I post a pic of a hot chick, folks come out of the woodwork.  Post about the latest cams or exhaust, crickets.  Post a pic of a puppy next to a bike, and they come out of the woodwork again.   Post a pic of the latest model and crickets. Get the picture?  BTW, he's since 're liked' the page.  Human Nature.

Yesterday I posted on the Texas Indian Bikers a small blurb about Hurricane Harvey and the issues it's causing among residents of the affected areas.  Borderline crickets.   But, below that was a pic of a gal from Canada on an old Gilroy and folks are liking and sharing.   It's an interesting lesson in Human Nature.

I've moved away from a drama fest that occurred over the last few months.  But every once in awhile, I come across a tidbit or two.  Someone whining the world isn't fair, the followers cheering 'em on and pointing fingers.  But the problem is ... the whining stems from a warped personal perspective and the cheering comes from .. yep .. you guessed it.... 'sheep'.   I came across a tidbit today that I hadn't seen before and the whiner was giving a twisted overview of distorted 'facts' that for those in the know, is hilarious and somewhat unbelievable.   Yet daily, folks still stumble along in some sort of blind trance of  loyalty  that is scary funny.  Hell the whiner is thinking right now, "see this blog is all about me!" .. .. pssttt.. .. its not. But, that's human nature. It can't be helped; he's become my number one fan of this blog.

The last week, we've (Texans) experienced a terrible tragedy in the flurry of Hurricane Harvey. The reaction and words of many, have provided an interesting perspective.   Who reaches out, who doesn't.  Comments one makes on Social Media, emails, texts in general or specific. Some of it caught me off guard.   I would have thought some, reacted differently than what I saw. 

Few days ago I saw a post in a group, that caused quite a flurry of opinions.  Many argued "why post this here!?!" .  On the surface, I get that opinion.  I also get why the poster, put it out there.   Hell, I was I surprised myself over the content and the post itself.  But, I found myself in an interesting position.  I was / am , one of the few that know a lot of history of issues prior and after, surrounding it all ( some  unrelated on the surface, but all ties together).  And when you have a compilation of info on character, you develop a .... perspective.   But the crazy part of it all is , one can only ask "WHY" did that person do it all (the subject of the post).  And then the overall human nature of a hundred posts , many of them condemning the guilty,  a percentage defending the perpetrator when they know nothing of the facts ( hell, I only know what I read ), and then a small percentage questioning everyone's morality, especially the 'haters'.  Have to admit, it was a helluva show.  I'm guessing there would be a thousand comments if they hadn't turned off the comments of the post, and it'd still be at the top of the feed for all to see.   Still, what a lesson, perspective in ...... yep.. you guessed it. ... Human Nature.

I suppose I myself make a viable example/subject of 'human nature' .  I've seen the dark side of some, that others don't , or don't care.  I've reset the height of my personal bar of whom to let into my circle.  Questioned why many were allowed into one of my circles ( I have three circles if you're wondering ... ) .  Other's human nature has altered my own human nature.  One simple effect of that was the 'cleaning' I wrote of.  I've also done it in my personal life, via a reevaluation of what's important in life. I've said for decades, I can count my closest friends on one hand.   But outside that, there's still a circle of friends that we consider close.  Those people still remain.  But the next circle out , what a draining of the swamp that's been ( yes, I stole President Trump's words!).

Human Nature. We see it all around us.  Sometimes sitting on a bench in the mall.  Sitting in a bar at a Motorcycle Rally looking out.  Sitting in an Airport terminal.  Sometimes, we see some weird shit. The scary part is, when some of that weird shirt encroaches our own lives. Sometimes we see it in one of our circles.  Sometimes 'human nature' needs to back the fuck off.






Comments

Tim said…
Great post Rick. "Human nature refers to distinguishing characteristics—including ways of thinking, feeling, and acting." We are seeing the best of human nature; acting to help friends, neighbors and complete strangers out of life changing situations in TX & LA.